Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Park Güell, too, is a work of Barcelona architect Antonio Gaudi. As a combination of a garden and architectural elements, walking through the park is akin to walking through Alice’s Wonderland. The financer of the park, Eusebi Güell, originally intended for the site to be a housing development because it was located on the top of a mountain, out of the way of the many factories of Barcelona. However, only two houses were actually built on the site, neither designed by Gaudi, and after they were unable to sell them, Güell encourage Gaudi to move into one of them. He did so, and this house today still sits at the entrance to the park. The park is free to tour, but there is an entrance fee the Gaudi’s house, which contains furniture designed by Gaudi himself. I wasn’t able to go into the house myself, but seeing the park was awe-inspiring enough. After experiencing both the Park Güell and La Casa Milá, I can agree that Gaudi, probably one of the most famous native Barcelona residents in the history of the city, was an utter genius. If this had been the only thing that I had seen in Barcelona I would have been happy with my visit. Seeing the park and La Pedrera makes me wonder how the inhabitants of the city interpreted these things during the tumultuous years of Franco, and the miserable reality that coincided. Obviously, I’ve never been in such a grim situation, but when I was surrounded by the masterpiece of an impeccable genius, I felt as if I didn’t have a care in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment